Ownership is at the Heart of the Assabet Village Co-op Market
The Assabet Village Co-op Market is open to all shoppers – Owners and non-Owners. But being an Owner comes with great benefits.
Owners get a say in what products, programs, and classes we offer. They also have a say in how the business is run by electing the Board of Directors, providing input into the Co-op’s priorities and mission. And that’s not all…
Benefits of Ownership
Before our store is open:
- Discounts on tickets to our classes.
- A vote at our Annual Meeting.
- The ability to run for the Board of Directors.
- The satisfaction that comes from knowing you helped create a locally sourced, community-owned grocery store that pays living wages and builds a thriving local economy.
Once our store is open:
- Access to Owner specials, such as bulk ordering discounts and Owner Appreciation Days.
- Annual Dividends/Rebates: In profitable years, the Co-op distributes a portion of the its profits to its Owners through annual dividends. The amount of the rebate is proportional to how much an Owner has shopped at the store that year. The more you shop, the bigger the rebate!
- A say in our products, programs, and classes.
- The right to participate in the governance of the Co-op by electing the Board of Directors and by providing input into the Co-op’s priorities and daily goings on.
How does it work?
You become an owner by purchasing an equity share that covers your entire household. The one-time cost of that share is $200. This is not an annual fee. Many owners pay for their share in $25 installments, which makes owning your store easy and convenient. Each individual can buy one equity share per household and each share gets one vote in decisions made by Owners.
Why Join Now?
The store can’t open without you! We need owners now to demonstrate the community’s commitment to the Co-op. The Board of Directors makes important decisions, such as when to sign a lease and when to hire staff, based on how many Owners have joined. And Owner capital provides part of the funds needed to create the business. The sooner you join, the sooner we open!
How to Join?
You can write a check, or you can pay by online through PayPal (note that there is an online payment convenience fee in addition to the cost of your equity share). Because we are in the start-up phase, we are asking all Owners to pay for as much of their share upfront as possible. However, Ownership is not meant to be a hardship. We offer a $25/month payment plan. If you’d like to discuss another option, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can read the By-laws here.