Board of Directors Application Packet
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Director on the Assabet Village Co-op Market Board! We are so pleased you want to work on the initiative in such a substantive way. Our Application Period begins July 1, 2018 and ends August 26, 2018. Before filling out your application, please read about the process and board responsibilities below. The full application can be found by clicking HERE. The Board of Directors guidelines can be found by clicking HERE.
To help evaluate candidates, the Board has established a nominations process to identify candidates who demonstrate the appropriate skills and degree of commitment for Board service. The Board’s policy is to nominate candidates who meet the requirements of the nominations process. Candidates who do not wish to complete this process, or who do not receive a Board nomination may still run for a seat on the Board by submitting a petition signed by at least twenty-five (25) Members in good standing. Candidate profiles and the ballot will indicate whether the candidate is (i) incumbent, (ii) Board nominated, or (iii) by petition.
Per the Cooperative’s By-laws, candidates must be Members of the Cooperative, whose membership share has been paid in full. Candidates cannot be in competition with, or affiliated with any enterprise that is in competition with, the Cooperative. No more than one employee may serve at any given time, no more than one supplier may serve at any given time, and no more than one person from any immediate family or household may serve at any given time.
We are a working Board! The time commitment as a Director ranges from 20-35 hours per month. Though demanding at times, this work is highly rewarding and fun.
Directors are expected to:
- Prepare for and attend twice monthly Board meetings (on Monday evenings)
- Attend Board training sessions, and the Annual Owners Meeting in October
- Serve on a Board committee or volunteer at events
- Be available for electronic communication between meetings
- Be able to devote additional time to getting up to speed during the first few months of Board service, and attend a full day training on a Saturday in January (likely January 5th or 12th, 2019)
By far, the most important attribute for a Director is the willingness and ability to commit time and energy to the Board’s work on a consistent basis.
In addition, we are looking for one or more of the following:
- Experience with a collaborative team working environment
- Experience with other volunteer work or community organizing
- Experience with project management
- Experience with financial management and budgeting
To qualify for a Board nomination, candidates must:
- Complete the candidate application form and submit by the stated deadline.
- Attend 1 or more Board meetings.
- Participate in an interview with the Board.
- Sign an acknowledgement of our Board guidelines.
July 1st: Applications open.
July 9th & 23rd Applicants must attend at least one Board meeting in July or August
August 6th & 20th: Meetings begin at 7:00 PM. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
August 26th: Last day for the Co-op to receive completed applications.
September: Candidate interviews. All applicants will be contacted (via e-mail) to
schedule their interview.
Applications can be snail-mailed to:
Assabet Village Co-op Market
54 Main St, Suite 205, Maynard, MA 01754
Or a PDF can be e-mailed to:
Please e-mail us with any questions.
We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you!
Application for Nomination
Please provide responses to the following:
- Why would you like to serve on the Board of Directors?
- Have you volunteered for the Co-op in the past? In what capacity? What did you think of that experience?
- What skills would you bring to the Board (including training, education, or previous Board experience)?
- What is your employment and work history?
- What else (if anything) would you like us to know about you?
I have read the material set forth in the application packet. I am willing and able to commit to the responsibilities outlined. I am eligible to serve, and have no business or financial interests that may present an overriding conflict of interest with the Cooperative.