Thank you for your interest in becoming a Director on the Assabet Village Co-op Market Board.
This is an incredibly exciting time to join the Board. The next three years will likely see the store open for business, and the Board transition from Operations to Governance.
We are so pleased that you want to work on the initiative in such a substantive way. We are looking forward to getting to know you.
To help evaluate candidates, the Board has established a nominations process to identify candidates who demonstrate the appropriate skills and degree of commitment for Board service. The Board’s policy is to nominate candidates who meet the requirements of the nominations process. Candidates who do not wish to complete this process, or who do not receive a Board nomination may still run for a seat on the Board by submitting a petition signed by at least twenty-five (25) Members in good standing. Candidate profiles and the ballot will indicate whether the candidate is (i) incumbent, (ii) Board nominated, or (iii) by petition.
Per the Cooperative’s By-laws, candidates must be Members of the Cooperative whose membership share has been paid in full. Candidates cannot be in competition with, or affiliated with any enterprise that is in competition with, the Cooperative. No more than one employee may serve at any given time, no more than one supplier may serve at any given time, and no more than one person from any immediate family or household may serve at any given time.
We are a working Board. The time commitment as a Director ranges from 20-35 hours per month. Though demanding at times, this work is highly rewarding and fun.
Directors are expected to:
- Prepare for and attend twice monthly Board meetings (on Monday evenings)
- Attend Board training sessions, and the Annual Meeting of the Members in October
- Serve on a Board committee or volunteer at events
- Be available for electronic communications between meetings
- Be able to devote additional time to getting up to speed during the first few months of Board service, and attend a full day training usually help in Keene, New Hampshire on a Saturday in January.
By far, the most important attribute for a Director is the willingness and ability to commit time and energy to the Board’s work on a consistent basis. In addition, we are looking for one or more of the following:
- Experience with a collaborative team working environment
- Experience with other volunteer work or community organizing
- Experience with project management
- Experience with financial management and budgeting
To qualify for a Board nomination, candidates must:
- Complete the candidate application form and submit by the stated deadline.
- Attend 1 or more Board meetings.
- Participate in an interview with the Board.
- Sign an acknowledgment of our Board guidelines.
Approximate 2017 Application Schedule
July: Applications open.
August: Candidate interviews. All applicants will be contacted (via email) to schedule their interview.
By early September: Nominees will be selected and notified.
2 weeks prior to the Annual Meeting of the Members: Candidate profiles and election information will be sent to all Members.
October: Annual Meeting of the Members – Election Day!
Applications can be mailed via U.S.P.S. to:
Assabet Village Coop Market
54 Main St, Suite 205, Maynard, MA 01754
Or a PDF can be emailed to:
Please email us with any questions.
We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you!